Monday, September 28, 2009

Menu Plan Monday - Week 4



I know I should be menu planning, I know I should be menu planning.  If I keep saying it over and over again, I’m going to get to it, right?  The last few weeks have worked unbelievably well.  I know we’ve saved money on our grocery shopping and we’ve been eating more wholesome and delicious food.  This is not to say that my family has exactly followed the plan that I set forth at the beginning of the week.  Life has crept in and mixed things up a bit causing a couple of meals to get dropped.  But we had 5 of 7 meals planned last week.  As always, fresh ingredient dinners get preference over pantry ones that way they can be shelved for another week.  Alright  I think I’ve motivated myself now!  So here’s what I’ve come up with for this week:

Monday - Girls scout meeting - Left-overs - Sweet Potato Risotto from Friday night.

Tuesday - Stuffed Shells with green salad.  I’m sure you all figured out I made sauce on Sunday from hubby’s guest post!

Wednesday - Crab Cakes (Frozen from Trader Joe’s.  YAY!  They are finally open in my area!) More salad or something green.

Thursday - Orange Chicken, Broccoli, brown rice

Friday - Pizza night 

Saturday - dinner out, nephew’s birthday!

Sunday - Pasta Fagiole (since it got bumped last week!)

What’s on your menu??  Make sure to visit OrgJunkie for great menu planning ideas!  Remember to tell her how much you liked the new button!

8 comments:

  1. I do so much better with a menu, we eat less actually and the food goes further. It's hard to keep all these plates spinning, as moms. :) Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I was better at menu planning.

    Stopping in from SITS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have a good orange chicken recipe? I did the one that the Crock Pot mom posted on her page and it sucked rocks. I'm looking for a GOOD one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stopping by from SITS...new member here :) Actually my very first day blogging EVER! Love your blog design and post. I see that you have kids in Girl Scouts, you might be really interested in my blog.

    Following you now and will be checking back to read your posts....really look forward to blogging with ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Stephanie - I totally cheat at orange chicken! I have two ways I do it. The first is to use the bottled sauce from Wegmans - I stir-fry chicken until cooked through and then add the partially steamed broccoli and sauce. Serve over brown rice. There is also a pretty good kit in the frozen section of Trader Joe's - in that case the chicken is pre-breaded and its comes with frozen sauce packets. The process is the same. Stir fry and then add in the broccoli and sauce. Cook through.

    Sorry its not more upscale, but its easy for a week night!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Christine firstly thanks for stopping by my blog from SITS, what a great site it is. I totally menu plan, not so much for the budgetting although that does come into it, more for the ease of knowing what we'll be having each night. No particular order with the nights we eat stuff though.
    This week we're having
    Chicken Pumpkin & feta pesto pizza
    Fettuccine w/ lamb and char grilled capsicums
    Steak Sandwich and chips
    Thai chicken patty and egg fried rice
    Lamb pea and mint fritters
    BBQ prawn (shrimp) chorizo salad
    Yum hey
    check you later

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok Christine you asked for the recipe for the Pizza so here we go. It's from the Good Taste magazine for October 09.
    Chicken Pumpkin & feta pesto pizza.
    serves 8 (really 4 of us ate the lot ha ha)
    550g Butternut pumpkin, peeled, deseeded cut into 1.5cm pieces
    2tbs olive oil
    4 chickent thighs fat trimmed
    2 pizza bases
    150g Copperpot Basil with cashews and parmesan chunky dip
    1 large roasted red capsicum thickly sliced
    150g soft feta crumbled
    1/2 half cup finely grated parmesan
    bake pumpkin seasoned with salt & pepper which has oil drizzled over it till soft
    grill chicken and pepper till cooked through
    Spread bases with the dip (pesto)
    top with chicken, pumpkin and capsicum (peppers) sprinkle with feta and parmesan
    Bake for 15-20 mins or until bases are crisp and parmesan melted.
    Really easy and so delish

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is such a great idea!

    Thanks for visiting me on my special day, I hope you had time to enter my giveaways, See you soon,
    The Buzz
    Brandy

    ReplyDelete