Saturday, September 19, 2009

Current Project - Koigu Snowflake scarf



I’ve been working on crocheting this gorgeous snowflake scarf for almost a year now. Its been slow-going, not because the pattern is overly difficult but because I seem to be working on it in fits and starts - for example, it hasn’t been touched in about 3 weeks. When I first fell in love with the finished product in one of my favorite yarn shops (Pins and Needles), I had aspirations of wearing mine with my favorite fall denim jacket. I need to get back to this soon though - while today is supposed to be 70 °F, tonight the temperature is falling into the 40s! Fall is definitely upon us!




The yarn is a stunning Koigu (the photo doesn’t do it justice!)and here is the free pattern that was shared with me. No reference to designer was given. I’m using two skeins of Koigu for mine and am making it longer than indicated on the pattern - the length is currently 27 motifs. I’m joining and filling in as I go, so I don't run out of yarn at the end. I'm almost done! I think I only have enough yarn for 1-2 more rows!!


Koigu Snowflake Scarf


Using Koigu and a C crochet ch4, join w sl st to form ring.

Rnd1: Ch4 (counts as 1 dc and 1 ch), work (1 dc, 1 ch) 11 times into the ring; sl st to 3rd st of ch4.

Rnd2: Ch 3, dc 2 tog in the same sp (counts as dc 3 tog), (ch3, dc 3 tog into the next sp) 11 times, ch 3, sl st to top of first cluster. Cut yarn leaving 2” tail, insert tail through last loop on hook and pull to tighten.


To connect motifs pick up through opening on the 2nd ch st of the 3 between the dc sets. Pick up on oth sides of the 1st, 4th, 7th and 10th set of 3 dc.


Crochet and connect 3 motifs wide by 21 motifs long.


After assembly, go back and crochet just Rnd 1 in holes between motifs, picking up the 4 corners of the existing motifs after the 1st, 4th, 7th and 10th dc.

3 comments:

  1. Kudos on getting that piece done and I hope you get to finish it soon! I'm completely clueless when it comes to crocheting and knitting so I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those colors are stunning!!!! Have a great Sunday=)

    Stopping by from SITS

    http://sarahbrownsfavoritethings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I envy you your talents! Both of my girls crochet. It's a skill they learned in their after-school program in elementary skill. Alas, all I know how to do is write...but that's something, I guess!

    ReplyDelete