Wednesday, September 23, 2009

New Front Door


We are making small but meaningful strides on the front of the house. If you have missed my previous post on the water damage we uncovered click here. Don’t get me wrong - my front yard still looks like an archaeological dig site but things are definitely improving! The water damage has been repaired and new stucco/cement has been applied to the front of the house. I’ve been advised by my contractor that I can’t paint the stucco for 28 days until it fully cures. Anyone ever heard of that rule? Four weeks seems a little excessive.


The wood rot behind the porch was so extensive that it was seeping up into the front door causing that to need to be replaced as well (and the door was almost 20 years old - so it was time). I didn’t really have time to shop for my “dream door” since it was kind of an emergency situation to get one on order right away. So we picked out a very standard door that was similar to what we were taking out, and our contractor finished installing the new one today. (I’m doing a little dance now, can you tell?) It’s so much more solid that the previous one - I have no doubt that we will have some energy savings with it. AND here’s the best part: this door qualifies for a tax credit as part of the stimulus package. So hopefully we will get a little money back next year on the unexpected purchase! If you are replacing windows and door this year or next, make sure that you check out the energystar.gov webpage to see if your project qualifies too!


Next up is the front porch and walkway - then I will focus on painting the door. I’m thinking a dark forest green....

1 comment:

  1. I know! The wait is horrible. We added a gym addition with a concrete floor and we had to wait for it to cure before we could stain it. It seemed like it took forever!
    We did replace all the windows in our cottage and yay! we qualified at tax season for a credit, so it really helps. Plus they really do make a difference.
    The door is perfect...picturing it green and think it'll be a beauty..for a door:D
    I'm checking out some blogs from roll call, glad I clicky-clicked on yours. Take Care!

    ReplyDelete