Thursday, October 1, 2009

LES Clothing Sale

 

On and off for the past month, I’ve been busily tagging children’s clothes for sale at our elementary school’s used clothing and toy sale.   This is a fundraiser for the PTO organization and raises several thousand dollars for the school.  If you are in the Lawrenceville, NJ area this Saturday, October 3rd and need fall or winter clothes for your kids (or toys, strollers, bikes or kid equipment), it is definitely worth the trip!  We have people who come in from all over the state for this and typically, a line forms before we open the doors at 8 am on Saturday.  From articles in the news lately,  second-hand clothing sales are big business this year with everyone suffering from the recession.  We have a lot of sellers this year and are expecting a big crowd.

Here’s the way its run:  All the sellers are parents, who tag and set prices for the items that they are selling.  When you check-out - a 15% surcharge is added to your purchase.  For example, if you purchased 2 shirts for a total of $5.00, you would pay $5.75 upon checkout.  The 15% goes directly to the PTO which fed right back into the school.   The seller also has 15% deducted from their total (I would make $4.25 for those two shirts you bought - also donating 75¢ to the school).  In this way, the PTO realizes 30% from each purchase.

The hardest part for me is getting organized before Friday night. Tagging the clothes takes a quite a bit of time, and even though I’ve been working on this for over a month.  I see so much more stuff around the house I could clear out!  But tagging and giving away these items is also bittersweet too.  I remember how handsome and grown up Ben looked in that 3T sweater, or how sweet Jordan looked in the red holiday coat with black velvet trim on our first Christmas time NY trip.  I have photos and memories, but it still difficult for me to get rid of those things that are part of my children’s history.  Nonetheless, I have several toters of stuff all set and ready to go.  If you see me on Saturday morning, make sure you stop by and say hello, and if you purchase any of my items, please cherish your children in them as much as I've cherished mine!


Jordan and MeMom
Size 6 Red Holiday Coat in NYC
Will be available on Saturday!

3 comments:

  1. This is a sweet post! I remember giving away a lot of my son's old things, after he had outgrown them. I wanted to keep them all, for the memories, but I decided only to keep a few things that had been handmade & give away the rest, hoping they would go to great new homes, where they could still be of some practical use. It is a bitter-sweet moment.
    I hope your sale goes well!
    Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Organizing for yard/garage/tag sales can be a challenge. Hope everything went well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for stopping by on my SITS feature day last week!

    ReplyDelete